Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Lord Ruin

Lord Ruin by Carolyn Jewel

It's been a while since I read this, but a friend asked for a review, so I'll do my best...

I picked this one up on impulse because I love the spinster heroine motif. I admit that Ruan isn't my ideal hero since I really don't like oversexed rake heroes much (with a few exceptions). However, this book really entertained me, and probably for very shallow reasons.

I have met few heroes who are as horny as Lord Ruan! My goodness. Even though this book isn't wall-to-wall sex scenes, I felt like the duke and Anne were having sex constantly, and not just in the bed, against any available object. In confess I liked this about the book...a lot! I'm all for married couples getting busy often in romances!

I give this book five stars because I appreciated the approach. I liked how Anne was a sweet woman, and out of her league, but she ends doing alright with Lord Ruan. He ends up loving her dearly and showing it, even though she wasn't his type and he did not want to marry but had to because he had compromised her. Some readers will not like how Anne and Ruan meet and end up having to marry. It was a bit eye-opening, but it didn't put me off the book. The mystery was good and kind of shocking in a way. But I liked the romance most of all.

Some readers won't enjoy this, because they might want something else in a book. But for a sweet, straightforward, sexy historical romance, I was a happy camper with this one.

And the immortal question? (view spoiler)

It's been a while since I read this, so my review is bare bones. But it's a good sign that I get a happy smile of remembrance when I think of this lovely little book. If I get a chance to do a reread, I'll try to do a better review.

Final verdict: I would recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord Ruin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

SmittenKitten extra-horny-hero... LOL, what an awesome category!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, SmittenKitten. Ruan definitely qualifies.

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Lolz Danielle, you should write the review of this one. I'm not sure how to put my words because I'm still not really feeling anything for Ruan, even with all those sex scenes. Maybe the way the book started, I can't get over it. Also, the mention of his mistress(es) for the better part of the book/comparing Anne with them sometimes, just so annoying! One of my pet peeves.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Punya, I'd have to reread it to do a review justice but I will try.

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Just because of that shelf *giggles*, you should. Anyway, that was just a thought but I'd love to read it if you feel upto it. :)

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Oh my Danielle, thank you. :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) You're welcome. Glad to help! Thanks for reading it.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Great review! LOL!!! Love that shelf... extra horny hero! Wish I could find me one of those. Heroes, not shelves.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Dhestiny! You should totally have your own extra-horny hero shelf. And the other too. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Wooot! I have a Heroes I'd Do Ten Ways To Sunday shelf!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) That sounds a lot more creative, actually!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "That sounds a lot more creative, actually!"

Certainly longer.

Shera (Book Whispers) Lucky your impulse buy turned into a good read!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I love when that happens, Shera. I've stumbled on some beloved authors that way.

Shera (Book Whispers) Know what you mean. Kate Forsyth, Lisa Kleypas, and Elizabeth Kerner where some I just randomly bought. Now they're my top authors!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'll have to check Kate Forsyth and Elizbeth Kerner.

Shera (Book Whispers) Great Epic Fantasy authors.

If you can't handle books with different "accents" I would stay away from Forsyth. It's very Irish/Celtic influenced. It always takes me a few pages to ease into it. (It's totally worth it.)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I can handle it, although it might take me a while. Thanks for the heads up!

Shera (Book Whispers) Yep. ^_-

Vashti This was the 1st Carolyn Jewel book that I read and loved it so much ,went and brought her backlog.Enjoy her writing a great deal.

Shera (Book Whispers) Would you say she's as good as Lisa Kleypas?? (I'm really picky about my HR.)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I don't love her as much as Lisa Kleypas, but then I am a huge Kleypas fan. But I think this is an excellent historical romance and it's worth a read. Vashti, I have only read this one so far, but I loved it enough to keep my eyes open for her other books.

message 25: by Tarra (new) - added it

Tarra So many Kleypas books, which is a good one to start? Her name is mentioned constantly, but I've never read any of her work. Great review on this book, btw. You caught my attention with your extra horny hero shelf, too! I'll add Lord Ruin to see what gives him that extra spice!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Hi Tarra. The Wallflowers are a good place to start, or with the Hathaways. The first Hathaway book is Mine Till Midnight. The first Wallflower book is actually a prequel. I find it a bit heavy, but it's a huge favorite amongst her fans: Again The Magic.

message 27: by Adrienne Marie (new)

Adrienne Marie LK "Devil in the Winter" is my favorite book ever!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I looove Devil in Winter, Adrienne Marie!

Shera (Book Whispers) Personally I think Secrets of a Summer Night is the best place to start. It's the begining of the Wallflower books and you don't get overwhelmed like you might with Again the Magic.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Oh, I LOVED Again the Magic!!! It's very different from the other books, but it's my favorite of the Wallflowers.

message 31: by Tarra (new) - added it

Tarra I looked up the books mentioned and over half of my friends have read them -- a couple who don't even regularly read romance! I've been under a rock, I guess. So I bought Mine Till Midnight and Secrets of a Summer Night. Going to start with the first in the series. Though Devil in Winter sounds great. Love a hero named Sebastian (that's my son's name).

message 32: by Katrina (new) - added it

Katrina great review Danille, i have this book in my TBR for like forever, I might as well dig up and find it and read it sooner all because you've said 'I have met few heroes who are as horny as Lord Ruan!"!! :))

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review Danielle! I was ummuing and rring over getting it, but I think I will now :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh sorry for the late reply. Thanks Katrina. Tarr, I love the Wallflowers. You're in good hands with Lisa Kleypas.

Suzanne, I hope you enjoy it. The reviews are mixed, but you can see I really liked it.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yeah, it sounds good, I like plain jane stories, but I never seem to find that many of them

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Oh thanks, I will just check it out, love to snope the shelves!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) You're welcome. Let me know if you come across some.