Christa's Reviews > Corbin's Fancy

Corbin's Fancy by Linda Lael Miller

Jan 12, 09

bookshelves: interlibrary-loan
Read in December, 2008

I am rereading some of Linda Lael Miller's early books and am beginning with the Corbin Series. As with the first in the series, Banner O'Brien, I enjoyed Corbin's Fancy, but didn't find it to be as wonderful as I did twenty years ago. I found some of the interaction between the hero and heroine to be frustrating, but I found the book to be entertaining overall.

Fancy Jordan is down on her luck in Washington territory, and has been barely supporting herself with her carnival magic act. When Keith Corbin offers Fancy employment as a companion to his brother, she jumps at the chance for a better situation. Jeff Corbin was gravely wounded when his ship exploded and he has languished for months, withdrawn and lacking motivation to live. Fancy's presence immediately draws Jeff out of his shell and back to life. Jeff and Fancy are drawn to one another and soon marry. Lack of both trust and communication creates some difficuties in their relationship. At the same time, Jeff and Fancy face danger from the man who caused the explosion aboard Jeff's ship.

I enjoyed reading this book again, but I liked Banner O'Brien slightly better. I felt more empathy for both the hero and heroine in the first book of the series. I found both Fancy and Jeff to be frustrating at times. I look forward to reading the third book in the series, Memory's Embrace, which was my favorite when they were written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corbin's Fancy.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Auntee I remember this one--I wonder if I would feel the same way about it too if I read it now.:)

Christa Auntee, there was something about the book that made it seem almost too simplistic. Neither the characters nor the story seemed to have the depth that most do in today's books.

Auntee So the style was a little 'dated'?

Christa It seemed so to me Auntee. I felt the same way, although to a lesser degree, about the first book in the series, Banner O'Brien. I'm still glad to be rereading the series. I really loved these books when they came out, and it is good to revisit them even if I don't find them as great as I did before.

Auntee Yeah, I have a feeling that books I read (and loved) 10-15 yrs. ago wouldn't hold up (or compare) to some of the stuff I read now. Sort of like movies that you loved years ago...sometimes your tastes just change.