Leah's Reviews > Love Slave

F 50x66
Feb 17, 2013

liked it
Read in February, 2013

I've only just started this book, but can already tell I'm going to enjoy it! Can't wait to see how the main character ends up!

Well, that didn't take long. I so wanted to know what happened to Sybil that I picked it up every chance I could get. I won this book in one of Goodreads' giveaways (thank you, Jennifer Spiegel!) a while back and wasn't able to get around to reading it until now. Wish I'd have picked it up sooner.

While Sybil's life is a FAR cry from mine, hers in NYC, mine in Portland Oregon I just wanted to see her get it together and enjoy her life. She is originally a CA girl (like me) who moved out to the East Coast to experience life. Thought that, surely, this is where life is happening. She relishes the true, raw nature of the city: the art, the bums, the food, the disinterested masses, the opportunities for experiences that she never decides to take. But the opportunities are there, and that's what matters. Through her artistic outlet as a columnist for an eclectic little paper, she gets to hash out her thoughts on life issues, without dealing well with them in real life. She's always a step or two removed. She also works as an office temp, and lives life as a temp, never setting up any sort of permanence, though she obviously needs some..desperately. She stays in a loveless relationship, because you're supposed to be with someone...anyone

Love Slave isn't about some kinky sexual set-up, it's about being a slave to the idea of love, of how to live life, of how things ought to be but often aren't. She gets so wrapped up in disappointments that she fails to grab on to the great things she does have.

I really enjoyed this book and wished it could keep going. THough I have to say, I thought I might have a heart-attack if a certain relationship didn't work out before the book ended. Also, I want to be "with the band."

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Slave.