Annita's Reviews > The Poe Shadow

The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl

Dec 24, 08

Recommended to Annita by: no one
Recommended for: only a very dedicated Poe enthusiast.
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

I am a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe. I enjoy his "horror" stories, but I also especially like his detective stories. He is considered to be the inventor of the detective story. His character of Inspector Dupin in "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and other stories is fascinating and memorable. So when I saw this book in the bookstore, I picked it up to see what it was about. It looked like one that I would love. It tells the story of a lawyer named Quentin Clark who has corresponded some with Edgar Poe (as he's known in this book) for a short time before Poe's death. Mr. Clark lives in Baltimore, and when he learns of Poe's death, he decides to investigate the true circumstances surrounding Poe's untimely demise. He even travels to Paris and looks up the man whom he believes to be the inspiration for Inspector Dupin in Poe's stories to help him with his investigation. It took me about 2 months to complete this book. I am a reader who cannot put down unfinished any book that I start. I felt compelled to complete it, and since Matthew Pearl is a Poe scholar and had done a lot of research, I thought I might receive some new insight into the cirumstances of Poe's death. I've always been saddened by the tragedy of what I've been taught were the details of his death. But this book is one of the slowest to read that I've ever read. It's written in the style of Poe himself which I appreciated, but I thought I was never going to learn the point of the novel. And the revelation at the end was very disappointing. I will say that I did receive a somewhat better impression of what happened to Poe, and that makes me feel better about him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poe Shadow.