Alea's Reviews > Wintergirls

Dec 24, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: read-for-review
Read in March, 2009

This was my first Laurie Halse Anderson book. Right off the bat I knew I would going to be slightly uncomfortable because of the subject matter of eating disorders and I was. It was really hard to read but I definitely was engaged, wanting to know what was going to happen to Lia, even though I didn't necessarily like her character. I think my favorite parts of the book were Lia being with her stepsister Emma, seeing how much she wanted to take care of her and be a role model.

Anderson's writing style was one I had never experienced before, it was very haunting and at times all the descriptions made me a little bit unfocused. I did like how Anderson crossed out a lot of words, that was an interesting technique that really showed Lia's internal struggle.

This was a really hard book to read and to like. But then again, eating disorders aren't something to like. It was very hard to watch Lia kill herself, to go from telling herself no I can't eat this to oh but I really want it. I just wanted to strap her down and make her eat. I don't think I've known anyone personally that deals with a severe eating disorder but I could definitely see through this book how much of an internal struggle it is and how heartbreaking it is to not be able to help yourself or even let anyone else help you.

I found the ending to be a bit rushed, I could have used a bit more. Because of how hard it was for me to read I can't say I really liked the book but I'm definitely glad I read it, it was very engaging and powerful. I look forward to reading some of the author's other books that will hopefully be easier for me to digest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.