Deanna's Reviews > Leadership Education: The Phases of Learning

Leadership Education by Oliver DeMille

Dec 20, 2014

bookshelves: homeschool-how-to, tjed-books, 5-pillar
Read in December, 2009

12/2014: oh yay. Definitely becoming more relevant as I have two kids solidly in scholar phase. My 15 year old "wants to be left alone to read and write." Currently he's plowing through "uncle Toms Cabin." My 16 year old is addicted to math and does at least three hours a day not to mention all the rest of her classic studies. (She refused to do any math when I was half on the conveyor belt in her younger years). Now that my kids are solidly progressing through the phases I can say this stuff really, really works! I have well read, articulate kids that have amazing comprehension and powerful study habits. There was several times along this journey I remember thinking (abt when they were 12), "mayday, mayday this is not going well. I need back up." But they miraculously (!) have become scholars and the younger two are progressing right on course. Bravo!

Second/Third Read: The information becomes more relevant as I read it with different questions and my kids in different places in their life. The rating as been bumped to a 4 1/2. I will continue to read and reread this.

First Read: This is a great book to have as a reference on the "how to" of a Thomas Jefferson Education. This book is best followed by Oliver DeMille's first book "A Thomas Jefferson Education."

The first 1/2 of this is a repeat of the the large pamphlet "Core and Love of Learning: A Recipe for Success," written by the DeMille's. I think there was new material interspersed within it though.

The only reason that I didn't give it five stars was that I'm not entirely sold on everything in this book. Many times I've gotten the feeling that if I don't do everything exactly right or if I don't agree with everything they say I am "not doing it right and I will fail." (With so many ingredients to accomplish it almost seems impossible to accomplish all of them). However, by the end of the book I felt they were allowing for personal discernment on what is best for your family.

I look forward to referencing this book again through out the years. Especially as my daughter nears transition phase which is fast approaching. There are several "ingredients" that appeal to me this time around that previously I had not latched on to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leadership Education.

Celeste Batchelor I felt overwhelmed with it the first time I read it as well. But, I have realized that we need to do this "our" way, using the ingredients that apply to us in the way that is best for us. The Transition to Scholar Phase portion has been very useful to me as my kids enter/entered that phase.