Jessi's Reviews > Close Enough to Touch

Close Enough to Touch by Victoria Dahl

Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012, 2012-challenge, contemporary, part-of-a-series, romance
Read in August, 2012

Victoria Dahl is one of my favorite contemporary authors. "Lead Me On" was a great example of using a nontraditional hero (one who is covered with tattoos) and heroine (one who is very attracted to the burly, brawny, biker type. I really need to re-read that book).
This book is the same. Grace Barrett is a makeup artist, one with purple hair (as we are reminded about over and over in most of the advertising for this book.) She's running away from Hollywood and her troubles there. Cole Rawlins is a cowboy who was also part of the Hollywood scene; he also ran.
And that's my trouble with this book. I didn't connect with eithe Cole or Grace. In fact, for three-quarters of the book, I absolutely disliked Grace. We don't get any explanation for her actions until the end. I wondered if I was suffering from not allowing the heroine the same latitude I might give a grumpy hero, something (Podcast 31 from Smart Bitches Trashy books discusses. However, I would have given Grace that same latitude had I known her situation earlier in the book. As it was, I only finished the book because it was an ARC from NetGalley. And I'm glad I did. Victoria Dahl is a skilled wordsmith and writes hot, hot sex scenes (not always to my taste, but I know they're well-written.)
My other big issue with the book is the description of Jackson Hole. I should know better by now than to read books about local places, because, while I can suspend disbelief for most other things, it's hard for me to reconcile the Jackson in the book with the one that I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close Enough to Touch.