Alena's Reviews > The Temple at Landfall

1291996
Jan 01, 09

bookshelves: fiction, queer, fantasy-sci-fi
Read in December, 2008

Jane Fletcher's mind sure knows how to weave a sci-fi tale to my liking. I like being dropped in a new world and being left to figure things out, and the world she presents is fascinating indeed.

You have an all-women planet, which offers a unique set of problems which she has good solutions for, a strict theocracy, which leaves room to weave a religion and also room for rebels, a complex military structure that is fascinating to explore and, again, leaves room for rebels. So you have the framework of a planet and need to fill it with life, and oh, Fletcher does. The characters are developed well and are complex, the planet comes alive on the pages.

This story in particular lays the foundation for the religious background, it follows the Imprinter Lynn, a woman gifted with the ability to weave two women's DNA and make one of them pregnant, who feels a prisoner in the temple, seen as the most important women on the planet, Imprinters can't leave the temple or have a life of their own, and Kim, a Captain of the Rangers, one of the military arms, who likes being a Ranger, but struggles with the Guards, the military group that protects the Sisters, the religious rulers of the planet.

The book manages to unfolds the planets present and past and I can see how there is so much more to tell in the Celaeno series, 5 books all in all so far. I'm looking forward to the ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Temple at Landfall.