Tanya's Reviews > Riveted

Riveted by Meljean Brook

Sep 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, steampunk
Read from September 05 to 09, 2012

I loved this book! I love this series! I can't decide if I like this one or The Iron Duke better. They're so different. That's the beauty of this series. Every book, every couple is different. Ms. Brook does not have a formulaic plot or hero/heroine that she follows. The only formula she seems to have is writing kick-ass steampunk stories that take place in a well planned, throughly thought out world. Riveted takes us from the New World to Iceland and all over that island during winter.

The adventure, as always in this series, is well-paced with several twists and turns. Towards the end of the book, their ordeal is almost unbearable, but as this is technically PNR, all ends well.

Annika left her secluded, secret village five years ago to search for her exiled sister who was exiled for an act that Annika did. She meets David in a port city in the New World after he comes to her rescue when she is stopped by the authorities. They are instantly attracted to one another, but David has another reason for seeking her out once he is aboard her ship. He thinks she holds the answers to his mothers origins. He is searching for the village his mother came from. She never spoke of her village before she died and there is something about Annika that reminds him of his mother.

Due to an accident as a child, David lost both legs, his left arm and eye. He has infected himself with nanoagents and has steel prosthetics and a special lens grafted to his body. This makes him grotesque and feared in the New World. Even in England, people look at him differently - not so much because of the prosthetics, but because of his of Native (New World) origin so he still looks different. Despite this, David still chooses to life his life ruled by hope. He is a natural alpha male; confident, charming. His circumstances make him act differently around some people, especially women. He's not shy, but apprehensive because he fears what their reaction to him might be. He cannot fathom that Annika would see him differently than anyone else does, as much as he wants to. But Annika only sees David as a man; no more, no less. And what she sees, she likes very much. He gives her the false impression that he is uninterested in her, so she also fears his reaction to her attraction to him. This all makes their love story so real. They build their friendship and along the way fall in love.

This book is so much about acceptance, not just for David and Annika. This theme is peppered throughout the story with the side plot of some of the minor characters.

I just can't say enough about this book, this series. I can't wait for the next one!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riveted.