Urbanista's Reviews > Pressure Head

Pressure Head by J.L. Merrow

Sep 26, 2012

bookshelves: decent-or-better-covers
Read in September, 2012

What. Another closeted (or ambivalent about his sexuality) cop/agent/PI, a big, toppy, gorgeous dude, and the smaller, smart mouthed, irresistible object of his tortured affection. I have seen this pairing before, and this one also comes with the prerequisite murder mystery.

That said, Merrow manages to enliven a fairly predictable story; the dialog, minor characters, and setting are very appealing here. Also, this book made me laugh out loud several times--Tom, the small, smart mouthed cutie, has a sharp and sardonic inner dialog. When first person is done well, as it is here, story and setting truly come alive.

The stoic and guilt ridden PI , Phil, is obviously smitten with Tom, and Tom doesn't quite know it (that's a cool trick, writing so that the reader knows things that the narrator does not.)

This would have probably gotten five stars, except for the familiar set up, and my personal beef: Not enough exploration of Tom's very specific psychic gift.

Merrow actually described it well, and it was an intriguing plot device. But I cannot get enough of that stuff, and would have liked more.

The cover, by Kanaxa?? Is wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pressure Head.