Kaia Jo's Reviews > Jumanji

F_50x66
Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: newberry-caldecott-winners
Read in September, 2012

I really enjoyed Jumanji. I didn't even know that it was a book until a few years ago. (I grew up watching the movie). When I did find out that it was a book, I assumed that it was a chapter book, since the movie was a full length film with a pretty involved plot. That being said, I thought that the children's book was really great. It was much more simple than the movie, but it still had a fun and adventurous feel to it. Just as in the movie, I love the premise of a board game coming to life, and I love animals so it is exciting to see the animals come to life.

At the end of the book I enjoyed the part where the kids told their parents everything that happened and the parents didn't believe them. It made me laugh.

I am curious as to why the author chose to have the illustrations in black and white. Whatever his reasoning was, I think that it gave the story the feeling of having taken place a long time ago and I think it also made the story a little more suspenseful and scary. The pictures were great and I loved all of the little details that he added around the rooms such as the notes on the piano music and toys around the room. Van Allsburg is wonderful at drawing people, I was very impressed with the drawings of children and of the animals.

It was great how the kids in this story got into trouble on their own and then figured out how to get out of trouble on their own. It was a good problem solving story as well as teaching the importance of reading or listening to instructions. Peter and Judy were strong characters and I found myself liking them even though I only spent a few pages with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jumanji.