Kathy's Reviews > A Solitary Blue

A Solitary Blue by Cynthia Voigt

Sep 14, 12

bookshelves: drama, fiction, contemporary, young-adult, novel, books-i-own
Read from September 11 to 14, 2012

This is a review tainted with my love and hate of this novel. At times I couldn't put it down and others I couldn't put it down quick enough and was reluctant to pick it up again. I really liked all the characters in this book except two, and the storyover all was great. The antagonist, Jeff's mom Melody, was a full-blowen narcissistic and manipulative witch like an evil stepmother of a fairytale. It made the end rather predictable and seemed over the top. The other character I didn't like was not nearly as extreme as Melody, but very predictable, just as cruel, and not really in the story very much. In addition, the edition I read had so many typos it was distracting. Where were the proofreaders! I would have given it 1 star based on those two characters and the typos; however, the story is so beautifully written.
The protagonist, Jeff, who is in second grade, comes home from school to find a note from his mother stating she has left him to fend for himself. Then she is out of his life for years, only to suddenly have him come to live with her for the summer. Thus begins the emotional roller coster of her relationshiop with him. She does this some other times until he is near graduating high school. The author describes Jeff's pain, struggles, love, anger, and psychological/emotional growth so very well. He develops wonderful relationships with his dad and others, and eventually and painfully begins to see through his shallow mother's motives. All the other characters were so very well written, as were their surrounds, and that is what hooked me. So, I gave it a four stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Solitary Blue.

09/13/2012 page 145