Ioana's Reviews > Broken

Broken by A.E. Rought

10420661
Sep 09, 12

bookshelves: arc, horror, my-reviews, netgalley, romance, young-adult, retelling
Read from September 06 to 09, 2012

I will say this before anything else: the blurb on GoodReads reveals too damn much! I would have liked to solve the puzzle the mysterious Alex Franks is all on my own and the description gave away too much.

Broken is a modern retelling of Shelley’s Frankenstein, a sweet and often times disturbing love story with paranormal elements.

More than once it reminded me of Twilight, of Edward and Bella’s romance. The way Alex watches Emma from the shadows, the way he takes her phone without permission to get her number, the inexplicable pull the two have – which is actually quite explicable if you stick with the novel – all things reminiscent of the former mentioned teen novel. And if you’re one of the Twilight haters, you might think you wouldn’t like this book or you wouldn’t even want to read it. Wrong and let me tell you why.

Emma is nothing like Bella. Sure, she’s a teenager in love and she’ll do silly, stupid things because of that, but she’s also smart, brave and independent. She stands up for herself, she protects herself without being a DID (damsel in distress), she knows when to accept help and when to pull back. Also, when things take a turn for Murderville, she knows better than to rush blindly towards it, without have one second thought. That’s exactly while I liked her.

Alex was likeable too, mainly because he was sweet and sensitive and just as broken as Emma.

I liked the first person POV because the book has a great start that really lets you get invested in Emma and be sympathetic towards her. I don’t think there would have been the same result if it wasn’t Emma’s voice guiding us through the story.

Speaking of the story, I really thought the idea was good and this had the potential of being a hands-down 5 stars book. However, the execution left something to be desired. While Rought’s writing is good and the start of the novel was pitch-perfect and captivating, the middle of the book lacked substance. It became repetitive and less riveting. What saves it though is the fact that Rought has a sense of humour so the book is funny. Even through Emma’s daily routine of going to school and back again, Broken is a light, funny and easy read.

“Playing the damsel is distress is way passé, but I was a legitimate victim of a dance-by whacking from his oblivious friend and his swinging arms. Daniel whipped off the t-shirt he wore over his thermal undershirt and packed my gushing nose in it. On the way to the office, when the stairs swirled at my face, Daniel saved me from falling. Then, he’d carried me the rest of the way. Today I walk in the opposite direction, heart aching, knowing Daniel is forever gone, as I aim for the torture chamber the staff of Shelley High likes to call the Gymnasium.”

A minor thing that needs to be mentioned is the abundance of references. I loved those! The Rocky Horror Picture show, Renfield the cat, there’s even a subtle reference of Shelley’s most known novel.

After some serious thought, I can safely say I didn’t like the ending. While it was a happy one, I wish we could have had more information on what happened, how they got out of the situation they were on, how her parents took everything in, what they thought of Alex and so on and so forth.

This isn’t going to be a book for everyone, but then again few to none books ever are. I did enjoy it though and if you think you will too, give it a shot and stick with it.

*I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged.
*This was an uncorrected proof. I will compare the quotes with the finished

Read this review and others here:
description
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

09/08/2012 "A Paradise Lost quite at the beginning. I have a feeling this'll be good."
09/08/2012 page 18
5.0% ""Her response must have burned wires somewhere with its speed: LUCKY!" :))"