Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > The Lady Flees Her Lord

Dec 23, 2008

bookshelves: queuemyreview, 2008-reads
Read in December, 2008

Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Oct08

“The Lady Flees Her Lord” is my second read by Michele Ann Young, and a very satisfying read it was. Young’s historicals have all too human characters with flaws who are placed in situations that require difficult choices. These books aren’t light, fluffy reads. But they are books that will draw you into the lives of their characters and have you encouraging and cheering for them as they make their way to happiness.

Lucinda had no choice but to run away. When her husband offered her to one of his dissolute friends, Lucinda knew she couldn’t stay. Her only hope is to disappear to a quiet country town far away from London. While on the run, she is duped into watching a child whose mother then runs off. It doesn’t take Lucinda long to realize she finally has what she’s always wanted…a child and freedom. But Lucinda’s husband isn’t about to let his golden goose get away, without her presence, Lucinda’s father has cut off his allowance. He’s sure it’s only a matter of time before he finds her and then he’ll make her sorry she ran!

Hugo returned to his family estate from the war wounded both mentally and physically. His huge body almost killed his mother at birth, and ended up killing his wife when she tried to bear his monstrous young. So…no wife, ever, for Hugo. Instead he’ll concentrate on rebuilding his estate as his father let it go to wrack and ruin. When he runs into a child and the beautiful statuesque widow who is her mother, he’s immediately attracted. As they spend time together, he begins to have feelings for this wonderful woman who isn’t afraid of his size or his temper. But how will Hugo feel when her legal husband comes calling?

When I read books like this, I always silently thank God that we no longer live in a time where a husband could treat his wife like chattel and the wife had no recourse. Young does a good job of depicting the lack of choices for Lucinda without dragging the reader into depression. Likewise, Hugo’s character has his own demons to live with and reacts just a child raised in those conditions would. Their time and their world is much different than ours and Young’s descriptions and plotting make that clear.

I enjoyed the growing and development of both the relationship and each character during the course of the story. There was even a bit of a mystery that became clear as the author dropped hints at strategic places in the tale. Michele Ann Young caught and held my attention throughout “The Lady Flees Her Lord”. Her novel has passion, mystery, action, and a happily ever after set against the backdrop of Regency England’s tonnish escapades. I’ll be watching and waiting for her next release.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady Flees Her Lord.

12/23 "Loved it. Review to follow"
12/26 "Done. Review to follow"
02/18 marked as: read