Diana Leigh's Reviews > The Emperor's Conspiracy

The Emperor's Conspiracy by Michelle Diener

Dec 03, 12

Read from December 02 to 03, 2012

THE EMPEROR'S CONSPIRACY was an enjoyable read filled with mystery, a touch of romance, and rich historical details about London life at the dawn of the 19th century. From the memorable opening chapter to the unexpected ending, the story kept me engaged.

England's gold is disappearing fast, and Lord Edward Durnham is assigned to find out who is behind it before the economy suffers. It takes the help of a very unique young woman to put the pieces of the mystery together.

I loved the heroine Charlotte Raven. She is not your typical lady of the ton. Not many members of high society spent their childhood as an impoverished chimney sweep like Charlotte. Though rescued by a generous and wealthy woman, she's kept her connections with the seedy side of London. She can't forget her roots, and does what she can to help others. Her ability to blend into both worlds becomes invaluable to Edward's search for answers.

One person in particular is not happy about Charlotte's involvement with Edward - crime lord Luke Bracken. Luke was Charlotte's protector during her years in the stews, and he wants nothing more than to have her again. I have to say, I was rooting for Luke. He had such a rough life, and what happened to him was heartbreaking.

THE EMPEROR'S CONSPIRACY was a well-written historical mystery, dark at times, but always entertaining. The ending was left somewhat open-ended, so I'm wondering if the author has plans for a sequel? I hope so! I give it 4-stars!

Review copy courtesy of Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Conspiracy.