Patrice Caldwell's Reviews > The Burning of Isobel Key

The Burning of Isobel Key by Jen McConnel

Oct 02, 12

Read on September 28, 2012

The Burning of Isobel Key is the first "New Adult" book I've read (that was actually labeled so). And as such I was very excited and at the same time putting on my "critical glasses" to see if books in the new genre would live up to all the praise they've received. A few hours later with no recollection of any bathroom or food breaks, I had finished the book and...I LOVED IT!!!

The book follow's, Lou, who is in a quarter life crisis: at age 27 she has no job and has no idea what she wants to do with her life. From the first few pages, I immediately connected with Lou. She much like myself attended a prestigious university and although I am still in college and she is four years out of it, I identify completely with the problems she's facing (especially the domineering mother :))

One of my favorite parts of the book was the flashbacks. Transitioning smoothly between the past and present is often something most books with flashbacks fail at doing, however McConnel excels at it. The scenes from Isobel's life intertwines with Lou's made for a book that was not only thrilling in regards to the characters but the historical interludes as well. Parts of the book reminded me of the First Blue Bloods book by Melissa de la Cruz,one of my favorite books and I am glad to add this book to that shelf.

Lastly the book was filled with mystery and suspense, from the moment Lou arrives in Scotland McConnel gets you guessing and hopefully you're better at it than I am because almost all of my plot guesses were wrong.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning of Isobel Key.