Kate's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Oct 08, 07

Read in July, 2006

Even a year after reading, I continue to think about this book. I have come to the conclusion that Henry and Clare's romance points out to us the imperfections in all humans, even a spouse/lover who is nearly perfect for you. H & C's love for one another is portrayed so passionately that I wept numerous times in the reading. Yet, Clare is very frequently left waiting for Henry, from age six until her very old age. Not because his love for her is less than it should be, simply because he is flawed, as all humans are flawed. This life is bittersweet. It is not heaven. We may be blessed with the most fabulous lover we can imagine, or have other beautiful relationships, but humans are not God. We need God to fill in where our human relationships fall short.

I enjoyed the imaginative idea of Henry's time travel--I admire the mind that concocted this scenario. The book had a little extra challenge of taking place in an alternative sequence, not in a traditional time-order, which I found added an interesting challenge to the read. I felt the author loved the city of Chicago--she included her favorite haunts in the story--I liked this because I feel the same way about my own city. I thought Clare the artist and Henry the punk-rock-loving librarian were believable and likable--I'd be friends with them.