December's Reviews > Duchess By Night

190227
Feb 01, 2009

bookshelves: historical
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** oh so delicious. What a great read. I've read her Duchess books in order, and I'm eager to get my paws on the next one - When the Duke returns. I wish I had it right NOW, so I could bury my nose in if for this whole Sunday.

There's a wrap up for Villar's jaded story, he has been a reluctant but endearing character through all four books. He'd be easy to dislike, as he was in the first book. the second he was wounded and languishing in bed the whole time. The third, he's finally up and feeling slightly better, and I am just hugely eager to see who he falls in love with.
And that, old chap, is just a side plot.

This story is quickly set up, the execution is precise. There's a bit of meandering around towards the end, but I thought it wrapped up nicely.

She's a duchess - she dresses up as a man to join her friend at an illicit house party of Lord Strange. He is asked to keep an eye on her. There is a kid involved, which didn't bother me too much. He is intrigued by him/her, and is angry with himself for being so. Until he realizes he's a she in disguise. Of course he has a bit of fun, because he knows, but she doesn't know he knows...

I like how Ms James ties one story to the next, but nice and loosely in this story, nothing too pushy. She's one of the speakers at the RWA conference in July, and I will do my best to not start giggling like a fool when I meet her. If I meet her. Honestly, Old Chap, if you haven't read a romance novel before, if you've turned your nose up and prefer more literary pursuits, but your vaguely curious, THESE are the books for you to try. She's a brilliant writer who is hugely knowledgeable about the time period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duchess By Night.