Marsha's Reviews > Kissing Shakespeare

Kissing Shakespeare by Pamela Mingle

Sep 05, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, literature-fiction, religion-spirituality, romance, science-fiction-speculative-fiction, young-adult, mystery-thriller, advance-reading-copy-advance-uncorr, owned-books
Read from September 05 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This is a time-travel story that deals with a little-known aspect of one of English literature’s most likely known men—William Shakespeare. There are gaps in Shakespeare’s life that have led to speculations about his unknown formative years. It gives inventive writers and scholars a great deal to play with and Ms. Mingle has made a spectacular debut with this subject.

Her protagonist is a struggling actress, at war with her talent and her domineering, gifted mother, that finds herself thrust back into Shakespearean time to deal with a young Shakespeare who is studying to go into the priesthood. Miranda is a spirited heroine, a talented actress and no mean shakes at being a spy. Ms. Mingle shows her growing into maturity in a subtle manner while also bringing the reader into 16th-century England.

Shakespeare’s England comes alive in this book, providing a fascinating background both for the casual reader and the interested Elizabethan devotee. We never meet the queen but we feel her influence as well as that of her agents as persecution operates onstage and behind the scenes. Religious strife is presented along with the struggles of dealing in a world of disease, no plumbing, little freedom for women and free-range rats.

This is a fine novel, not only for young adults, but for the adult reader as well. I never found myself bored with it; even the scenes where Miranda/Olivia reads with Shakespeare were engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kissing Shakespeare.

09/05/2012 page 83
23.0% "A glow suffused her face at his words. Jennet really was attractive. She was one of those lucky girls whose hair grew thick and wavy, and its tawny color framed a fair complexion and brilliant green eyes. Her teeth were still white and even, which was pretty amazing, because dental work, or the lack of it, was definitely a problem in these times. Missing and decayed teeth seemed pretty common."
09/06/2012 page 239
67.0% ""the moment I met Lowry, I knew him for the other man in my vision." "So he's important, somehow, in all of this." I tried to piece it together. "Robert Lowry and the sheriff are plotting against...whom? Thomas Cook?" "Who else?" "Jennet's got to be reporting to Lowry, who we now know from your vision is in cahoots with the sheriff. They already knew there was a Jesuit here, so what else could she be telling them?""
09/06/2012 page 352
100.0% "After a while, I sank down on the bench and reached for my pendant. I rubbed my thumb over the surface, tracing the facets of the sapphire and the ruondness of the pearls. Then my fingers brushed over the inscription. Farewell! Thou art too dear for my possessing. I knew he wasn't coming. I rose, reached for my backpack, and flipped out the lights. "I will see you again someday, Stephen." I will see you again...."