Erin's Reviews > The Bible Salesman

The Bible Salesman by Clyde Edgerton

Dec 24, 08

Read in December, 2008

Three stars is generous, and it is only because the last book I read was so mediocre that I felt this one was slightly better than mediocre.

There was a time when Edgerton spoke to my being with his folksy way of weaving a story. His characters had a depth which engaged me to some degree. This isn't the case anymore, and it is safe to declare that I am officially done with my forays into his novels.

You know, on reflection, I am downgrading this book to two stars.

Summary: Naive, folksy youth gets caught up stealing cars with a man he believes works for the FBI. This witty quip-riddled boy is also a Bible salesman who acquires boxes of Bibles from a free service and proceeds to cut out the first page that states that they are of no cost, and then he sells them to folksy people.

More description could be entered here, but frankly, I am too tired for such nonsense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bible Salesman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

My membership dues with this site have just been justified if I've been spared reading a bad novel by reading your review.

As I recall, though, you really liked some of his earlier stuff -- I need to find out which one you liked best and then I need to read it.