Chellis's Reviews > One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus

Dec 23, 2008

did not like it

If this book was not assigned to me for my book club, I wouldn't have wasted my time to read it. Not only is Fergus' novel, overly sentimental, historically inaccurate, misogynistic, it is racist towards Native Americans. AND it's all told in my least favorite method of narration: the journal entry. Chapters will often begin with, "So much has happened since my last entry, I don't know where to begin...." This is an easy tool to push time forward, and overdone in poorly written novels.

Fergus' novel was chosen for the Doubleday Book Club, which means that publishers have no idea what women read. It's true that women are the main demographic in Book Clubs, but that doesn't mean that we only want to read women "survival stories," (let alone one poorly written by a man.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand White Women.

02/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Leota (new)

Leota wow. tell me how you REALLY feel! :)

and JOURNAL entries? lord. shoot me now.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan thanks...I've decided not to read this one...Have you read, These is my Words?

Mark I am sorry, but you never read this book if you describe as misogynistic; or perhaps you have no clue what that word means. As far as it being racist against Native Americans, I thought it was very favorable and showed how miserable they were treated by the US government.