Alison Looney's Reviews > Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Dec 23, 2008

liked it

Ahhh, this is exactly what I want when I pick up a chick lit book. It's a light, funny story about errant boyfriends and strained family relations, but it's also clever and relatable.

Unlike other books of this genre, the main character does not completely reinvent herself. Bridget ends up with The Guy, of course, but little else changes in her life. She's still smoking, dieting, weighing herself obsessively, drinking too much - there's no cathartic moment where Bridget realizes the error of her ways and turns her life around. (Well, she occasionally quits smoking, but never for more than a few hours.) That's how real people handle their minor addictions - feeling kind of bad about them, but make no effort to change. Her mostly static character actually rang true.

As for the story itself, some situations are a little contrived (would any reader think that Bridget could pull off a fancy six course dinner?), but there's always a funny payoff. Even if you know it's coming, having Bridget arrive at the no-longer-Tarts-and-Vicars themed party in her bunny costume is delightful.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridget Jones's Diary.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Rula It definitely has the sort of fantasy of trying to lose weight and having boyfriends. When I first picked this book, I was quite interested in it and then when I carried on, I felt slightly bored throughout. I mean, I have watched both of the films and they are better than the books. Bridget Jones is a 30 year old woman who wants to have a boyfriend and she is trying to lose weight. She works in publishing, falls in love with her boss and then decides to have sex with him; she dumps him for the snooty human rights lawyer. Falling in love is one thing but losing weight is hard for someone and having sex with someone is a bit over the top.