R's Reviews > When You Reach Me

4001917
Sep 05, 2012

bookshelves: children-s-contemporary
Read on October 08, 2012

I liked this book. Recommended to me by the forever wonderful Silver Prion Chemistry (as usual!).

THE PLOT
I honestly had no idea where the plot was going for the first several chapters of the book. It was a little bit confusing at times, but I did like it. I LOVED how everything fell into place at the end. I didn't realize (view spoiler)

MIRANDA
Miranda was extremely relateable, although she acted a little bit younger than her 12 years, if I do say so myself. I wasn't sure why she had so much trouble understanding Marcus when he talked about time, but that might just be me. I didn't like her relationship with Sal, though.

SAL
Um, okay, dude, find a better way to stop being friends with somebody. Don't just shut her out of your life. Not smart. Although, I understand, Miranda didn't exactly get your hints. But stillllllll!

COLIN
I hated him so much!! He was annoying, overly smiley and ugh. (view spoiler)

JULIA and ANNEMARIE
I like them both a lot. I thought they were very well-rounded characters who developed a lot throughout the book. I didn't always like everything they did, but on a whole I thought Julia and Annemarie were excellent characters.

MARCUS
I loved his character. He had flaws enough to make him human, but not so many that I was slamming my head against the wall every time he spoke. I loved how Miranda realized his story at the end! Awesome. :)

THE LAUGHING MAN
Loved him! <3 <3 <3 However, I figured out the ending before Miranda did. :P

MIRANDA'S MOM AND RICHARD
Miranda's Mom was incredibly idiotic and I didn't like her. Richard, on the other hand, I didn't mind. I thought Miranda's mom was very closeminded, and foolish. Gah.

TIME/TIME TRAVEL
I LOVED HOW THAT FIT INTO THIS BOOK!! Anything with time travel/time paradoxes I love in general, but this was just AMAZING!

All in all, I loved the storyline and plotline of this book, but the characters could've been better. Really good though!! :)

~Ruthie~
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

message 1: by Silver Prion Chemistry (last edited Oct 10, 2012 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silver Prion Chemistry  the Martian Blob Awwww, thank you, Ruthie. :-) I'm glad you liked it!