Kathleen Pooler's Reviews > Morning at Wellington Square

Morning at Wellington Square by Susan G. Weidener

Sep 05, 12

Read in September, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morning at Wellington Square.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathleen Pooler Morning at Wellington Square, the sequel to Again in a Heartbeat, exposes the journey of a woman who has lost the love of her life to cancer and must move forward as a single parent,sole provider of two sons and journalist. Susan Weidener’s writing style which is honest, concise and sometimes blunt, is always engaging and realistic. Once I started reading it, I had a hard time putting it down. She brings me into her story through her vivid imagery and honest reflections and keeps me turning the pages. The story moves along at a nice pace and has a very satisfying ending.
She weaves in job, dating and parenting challenges in a way that had me nodding throughout the entire book which I finished in two sittings. There are two layers to the story that Susan integrates very well- the journey of healing after a devastating loss and the role writing and the Women’s Writing Circle play in her personal healing and growth. The author does not sugar coat anything and provides honest and gripping reflections on her part in her own struggle, often framing her actions in light of her love for the husband she has lost. She also explores the role her parents played in shaping her as she gives a poignant portrayal of her Mom’s final days.
The satisfying part of her memoir comes as she finds herself again through her writing and the founding of the Women’s Writing Circle. Her story inspires hope that renewal and new directions are possible after loss.