Heather's Reviews > Beneath the Glitter

F_50x66
Sep 08, 12

Read from September 05 to 07, 2012

Read more reviews here!

The story starts at the end, with the London sisters being arrested at a party, then goes back five months earlier. We don't actually see them moving to LA or how they decided to start London Calling.... they already have all that. It would have been interesting, though. Instead, we see them get an award that makes them even more popular. Because of this and an accidental run-in with an old lady who owns a cosmetics company, they are offered a chance to create a London Calling makeup line.

Really, though, the book is a lot less about their brand than their personal lives. Sophia was recently dumped by her college sweetheart for no reason and is on a boytox.... however is just so amazingly beautiful that guys can't help falling for her and she is torn between the rich guy and a witty bartender. Ava meets the movie star of her teenage dreams and they start dating because, in the only part that's not focused on Ava or Sophia, Liam tells us that Ava is just so refreshingly innocent. Liam has a bad rep, though, and Sophia is wary. This leads to a lot of misunderstanding and hard feelings between the girls, almost ruining their makeup launch, but they make up in time to be arrested.

Honestly, if the arrest hadn't been at the beginning too, it would have come out of nowhere. The blurb makes it sound like someone trying to take them down is a huge part of the book, but it's not. There is not a hint that someone is out to get them until the last chapter and epilogue. I also have a little spoiler rant about this so...

(view spoiler)

The characters are based on Elle and Blair, but seem to be based more on their Youtube personas. They didn't seem like real people at all. They were just too perfect, even when they were not supposed to be. I did get a little tired of the characters, Ava more than anyone. I know that Ava is supposed to be based on Blair, but I could only picture Amanda Bynes from What a Girl Wants in this role because that's who Ava reminded me of. There were even some scenes that remind me of that movie, especially the mean old lady who has a dog that doesn't like anyone, but immediately loves the girl. Still, I liked Ava less than Daphne.

The interaction with the girls didn't feel real to me. The dialogue felt contrived, especially when there was banter back and forth. Maybe the only time there seemed to be a real moment was when the girls were fighting. There was also a lot of telling, such as "Ava mimed turning a key on her lips and locking them down tight.", that made the book's flow falter.

There was one scene in particular that I liked. Ava and Dalton saved a dog and her puppies. It might have been unrealistic, but I like that dogs were saved. I always get nervous when dogs are in books... I guess I can't get horror books or Where the Red Fern Grows out of my head.

I watched the videos where Elle and Blair talked about how excited they were for their book and it makes me wish I liked it more than I did. Still, it was an okay book. It reminds me a little of Spoiled or the A-list books, but without a bitch main character or as much name-dropping. You can tell, though, that Elle and Blair are into fashion because every single item of every single outfit was described. There is actually little makeup description, which surprised me a little. There is going to be another book next year and I may get the next one to see which of the few characters introduced is out to get Sophia and Ava, but it's not at the top of the list.

This book has also put London Calling by The Clash in my head for days.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath the Glitter.