Heather's Reviews > How to Drive a Dragon Crazy

How to Drive a Dragon Crazy by G.A. Aiken

Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: fantasyromance
Read in September, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I was really disappointed by Aiken’s latest. I’ll try to write a longer review later, but here are a few reasons why.

1. Not enough time with Izzy and Eibhear. This was the book that us fans had been waiting for, and we didn’t get nearly as much sexy time as any of the other series, AND each were very short.

2. There was no angst in their “relationship.” They just kind of happened, and I felt that as a reader I needed a bit more…something…to make it more interesting and engage me. I was already sold, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want them to have to fight for it.

3. Way, WAY too much world building happened in this book. So much was happening with the next generation – Rhi, Talan and Talwyn – that it was too overwhelming. There was more dialogue (at least it felt that way) from all the other characters than from Izzy and Eibhear. That would have been better served if they had moved it out of their story, into a, say, novella or something. I loved all the other characters, and I love reading their dialogue and snark, but Izzy and Eibhear weren’t done enough justice.

That’s why I’m giving it a 2. It was just an “okay” read for me. I hope that the next Dragon Kin titles are back up to par, but I can’t lie…I’m really disappointed that the book I had been waiting for SO long was such a disappointment to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Drive a Dragon Crazy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Llsbear3 (new) - added it

Llsbear3 For romance fans it was a big disappointment,for fantasy
fans it a darn good story.

Heather That's an interesting point. But Aiken has always been a fantasy romance author, emphasis on romance, IMO. I think the larger problem was that there was such build up to their story, and compared to the other stories, there was MUCH less romance - both in terms of sex and relationship-building. And that's a huge disappointment for a couple that has been built up so much in the earlier novels. There was so much time spent on what was happening with the younger generation, that it didn't do the main couple justice. If it had been even longer, with more time spent with Izzy and Eibhear, I would have no complaints about the story itself.

message 3: by Llsbear3 (new) - added it

Llsbear3 I think you will hear more from Iz & Eib as they seem
to get along better with the children then the other
aunts and uncles or even the parents.

message 4: by Llsbear3 (new) - added it

Llsbear3 Your 2 stars is the lowest rating anyone has given this
book.

Heather Llsbear3 wrote: "I think you will hear more from Iz & Eib as they seem
to get along better with the children then the other
aunts and uncles or even the parents."

I definitely think we'll see more of them, but I wanted to see more of them in this book. Because this has always been a fantasy romance series, I was expecting the romance and I felt that was really lacking. I can understand wanting to change a series and its focus, but I wish she had waited until after our favorite couple had their HEA.

Great reminder of how two readers will never read the same book alike, I guess!

message 6: by Llsbear3 (new) - added it

Llsbear3 I think it would have been better if GAA had thrown
everyone curve and pair Eib with someone else. She
didn't so you all got what you wanted. HEA for Izzy
and Eibhear.