Aleksandr Voinov's Reviews > As Meat Loves Salt

As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann

Dec 27, 12

bookshelves: genre-historical
Read in December, 2012

The writing is gorgeous, though I admit to skipping some colony-related bits post the 50%-mark. Jacob is a pretty disturbing character, and I'm still not sure whether he's driven insane by some religious guilt or meant to be a sociopath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Meat Loves Salt.

09/05/2012 page 25
4.0% "Started this this morning, as I'm off to a wotkshop with the author in a couple weeks (and it's only polite to read something from them if you're going to leech of their brilliance)." 2 comments
09/06/2012 page 89
16.0% "Not sure I'm buying his sudden transformation into a rapist/murderer."
09/06/2012 page 89
16.0% "The thing boggling me about the book: Jacob has ideas/aspirations above his station. It feels a bit like that's supposed to be a flaw." 9 comments
09/07/2012 page 115
21.0% "I like the writing, but not sure what I feel about the book."
09/10/2012 page 248
46.0% "I don't really see Jacob as a Sociopath/psychopath at all. Though I can't trust him, obviously. Still deeply torn about the book." 3 comments
10/31/2012 page 249
46.0% "I think I'm losing the connection to this book - can't force myself to pick it up again."
12/17/2012 page 400
75.0% "I fell out of this book and can't get back in." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vivian (new) - added it

Vivian Archer Intriguing. I'll temporarily mark it as a to read. Look forward to your review.

message 2: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov It's very well written. Great flavour.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a fabulous book and I can thoroughly recommend it! Without it, I would never have written A Dangerous Man, or indeed any other m/m fiction :))

message 4: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Anne - it's really interesting to see that it's so not m/m. This would prompt me to do historical more than gay romance, but then, I'm right at the start where he and Ferris are just buddies. :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well it's m/m, just not m/m romance. I use the terms m/m and gay fiction interchangeably.

message 6: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Oh, both are too fuzzy. Right now it strikes me as "mainstream fiction with sexually flexible characters".

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely literary fiction, surely!! :))

message 8: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Too little deconstruction of reality and too much plot for "literary". :)

/snerk

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

But, my dear, that rather narrow description of "literary" is so not like you!! Have you been swopped?!?

message 10: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Sorry. Just read a literary book that kept putting me to sleep and I kept thinking "Holy shit, I do need plot and I don't care about your undergrad philosophy trauma you're pouring into the pages." :) Had a moment of bitterness towards the genre. It'll pass once I've read something more interesting.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

:)) Tee hee! I've read some of those too -usually on the Booker Prize list!! :))

message 12: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Actually, the sticker "Booker finalist" for me is 90% of all cases an active discouragement, like "don't buy this rather pretty but overwrought, pretentious crap unless you really need a sleeping aid." (Which I usually don't.)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

:))

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you ever finish this? Thoughts?

message 15: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov It's on the pile here. Very nicely written, but when I heard it all ends awfully, I kinda lost the drive. It's a terrific study in voice though.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

*buries it further down the pile* I'm looking for reading as entertainment lately. Serious, unhappy stuff isn't going to cut it.

message 17: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Yeah, then I'd stay away.

Hmmm. What kind of feelgood book can I suggest... I've mostly been reading non-fiction lately.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I need to take a break from romance. I have some action-y thriller stuff stacked up. Hopefully with lots of plot and explosions. :D

message 19: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Most excellent. I'm just powering through my research books for the foreseeable future (read: by end-December). :) Before I break a thousand hearts and get hunted down and beaten to death with my own "canon" :)

message 20: by Rosemary (new) - added it

Rosemary O'Malley Aleksandr wrote: "Most excellent. I'm just powering through my research books for the foreseeable future (read: by end-December). :) Before I break a thousand hearts and get hunted down and beaten to death with my o..."

That does not bode well, sir.

message 21: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I need to sell more books so I can afford the high-level specialised security detail...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL. Start writing or you will be out one sizable chunk of change for an expensive dinner! Hopefully you are crowding a few words in between the research. :)

You are so funny. Do you really want to be hunted down with pitchforks and burned in effigy? Anyway, if you do it I want a front row seat. And popcorn.

message 23: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I'm currently at 37k words in the birds book, planning to hit ~90k by year-end. Might be a tough race, but at least I broke through that nasty block on page 109. :)

And the other stuff - well, I guess I can include the mother of all warnings.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Unblocked is good. Hopefully you don't get too many other distractions and things will flow. Here's to you get a smooth ride through November this year. :)

message 25: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I'd like that. I effing hate November. :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I know. Good luck!

message 27: by Lenore (new)

Lenore Aleksandr wrote: "Before I break a thousand hearts and get hunted down and beaten to death with my own "canon" :) "

I just heard my heart crack. Do it and I'll die. Do you want me to die, Mr Voinov?

message 28: by Vivian (new) - added it

Vivian Archer I like voice studies and I read enough dry and meandering to sit through it--eventually.

message 29: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher Moss I think you are onto it with sociiop0ath. But what goes on in the war around religion is enough to drive anyone crazy.