Tara's Reviews > The Friday Night Knitting Club

Mar 03, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Recommended to Tara by: Jill Goudreau
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** If I was the type to not finish a book, I wouldn't have finished this one. It's really slow reading for no real purpose. It's not like the author has some big plot to unfurl. I really wanted to like this book. There's nothing about a group of women with one craft in common that bond together that doesn't appeal to me. Really, I'm all over it. But I really couldn't care about the characters and the story enough to stay engaged.

I had a real problem with Darwin's drunken infidelity (totally out of character) and Lucie's pregnancy. How do you not tell your parents that you're pregnant when they're the ones hounding you about having a baby?? Something doesn't fit here. I also couldn't get over the "everything lost is found again" theme with James and Cat. (Also, I really need a picture of what a knitted gown would look like because I don't get it.) Dakota runs away to find her family, the adults just happen to figure out to check the train station and come in the second after she buys the ticket. Then Georgia decides she has to take her away to Scotland to meet her great-grandmother for a month during the school year??? Nevermind the fact that Cat just decides to tag along and Georgia doesn't bother to say no?

I just don't get the point of this story. Even the bonding is fragmented. Georgia and Anita. Georgia and Cat. Georgia and James. Lucie and Darwin. KC and Peri. That's not a sisterhood. Without Georgia, that whole thing falls apart (as I guess we'll see in Knit Two, which I'm very much debating about reading). Georgia dies in the last few pages. She's progressing fine through chemo, then there's a complication and she dies. Quick as anything... I can't figure out why she has to die. Is cancer supposed to be a learning experience? Is this to give Georgia a break? Is the message of this book that you can't actually come into your own until the forceful character in your life leaves it? And the only way Georgia is going to leave is if she bites it? That's terrible, but I can't say I was close to shedding a tear.

All that said, I'd kind of like to see the movie when it comes out next year. It's got to move faster than the book, right?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friday Night Knitting Club.

02/25/2009 page 80
03/01/2009 page 205
58.24% "Taking forever!"
03/03/2009 page 299
84.94% "Will finish today (hopefully!)"