Erin's Reviews > The Last Great Day

The Last Great Day by Benjamin Grant Mitchell

F 50x66
Sep 04, 2012

bookshelves: to-read, first-reads

I was surprised at how easy of a read this was. I expected with its heavy subject matter and the thick, big pages of text that it would take me awhile to get through. However, I finished it in only a few days, having been drawn in by the blunt honesty of the narrative. I was constantly guessing (based on the dedication page) which character the author was, and I'm fairly certain he was the older son, Jacob, as much of the book is from his point of view.

Benjamin Mitchell did a phenomenal job of presenting his characters on a personal level, as well as continuously pulling the reader outside of the situation to see HOW they could think that way, and WHY they so stubbornly stuck with their beliefs. It wasn't a blame-game type of narrative, it just told of the author's experiences as they were. I found myself growing angry with the punishments his father, the minister, would dole out for seemingly innocent mistakes a child would make, and was eager for Henry to get to the bottom of the allegations of sexual abuse against his Prophet and leader. I had no idea that this cult existed before I read this book, and I found out it was started in my own state, and in my college rival's city.

Prepare yourself to sit down and pay attention when you open this book, there's no slacking off once you're drawn in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Great Day.