Erika's Reviews > Dissolve

Title: Dissolve
Author: Andrea Heltsley
Date of Release: April, 4th, 2012
Number of Pages: 424
Source: Author for tour review.
Summary from Goodreads:
Everything seemed to be going right for Cora. She had a wonderful fiance, a great best friend and a fulfilling life. One day, a tragic event caused that life to crumble around her. She turned to her best friend in her time of need. They embarked on a search for answers, delving deeper into a web of magic and destruction. The closer they got to the truth, the more questions they had. To Cora, magic was the stuff of fairy tales. Immersed into a very different kind of world, the real storm was just beginning to take hold.
“It felt like I was nowhere yet everywhere all at once. I was invisible and completely panicked. The millions of pieces I had dissolved to drift on the breeze and away from my nightmares. It was kind of like floating weightless in a pool, perfectly relaxing. The warm breeze from the window embraced and soothed me. I let the air current carry me as far as it could through the summer city.”
“Defeated, I closed my eyes and took a few calming breaths trying to relax myself. I pictured the dandelion in the park today and took a deep breath as to blow the fluffy seeds in all directions. I pretended I was light and fluffy and started to feel a tingling in my body. I began to feel as light as the dandelion seeds and soon I felt like mist floating. This time, I tried to keep myself in the room, swirling in a humid block.”
Review: I was excited to read this book, because it is in the new genre loosely labeled New Adult. Also the cover sounded good and the plot interesting. I wouldn’t say it didn’t live up to all my expectations. I did enjoy reading Dissolve for the most part. Their were just parts that grated at me. Andrea Heltsley was able to capture my attention and keep me guessing.

I was fascinated to find out what was up with Cora. The sudden bouts of illness I knew meant something more. Not to mention the premise of the book is that she Dissolves. Anyways, I didn’t like that it felt like she brushed off her fiancé’s death. I loved the relationship between Nessa and Cora, but it was all a little unsettling, after that. When we were introduced to new characters I was fascinated. I watched the plot unveil with questions spinning in my head and all my answers were incorrect.

I still don’t know who the bad guy is in the novel. I thought I had it figured out, but I don’t!! That ending!!! MAN! That hasn’t happened in a long time!! There is set to be a sequel and I am just invested yet to want to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dissolve.