Caitlín (Ink Mage)'s Reviews > Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy

Rapture of the Deep by L.A. Meyer

Oct 01, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: nautical, particular-favorites
Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Okay, so where do I start? Basically with, I hope this book isn't an indication of the series going WAY. DOWN. HILL.
Rapture began with a good premise and had me expecting another rollicking adventure. But after the first 105 pages (or, parts I and II) it didn't live up to it. Yes, Jacky and Jaimy were together, but all they did was try--and fail--again and again to have "quiet moments," and Jacky told Jaimy what to do ALL THE TIME. I didn't even really like Jaimy for most of this book; the only time I felt any genuine liking for him was when he braved the diving bell, something he feared greatly, for Jacky's sake. It was very sweet. Otherwise, simply held the place of "the most beautiful boy" with no brain.

Secondly--which should perhaps be first--WHAT WAS WITH MR. MEYER REPEATING HIMSELF SO MANY TIMES?! I was nearly ready to scream by the end if I heard about Higgins' and his stupid towel-at-the-ready one more time. And entire sentences and explanations of various things were repeated many times--sometimes even on following pages.

A lot of the book seemed like boring filler--especially the Bother/Fox/Bear/Rabbit stories, which are apparently required to appear in every single book featuring slavery and/or an old slave who imports "wisdom" to the young.

I did like it from page 412 on, where a certain red-coated rascal appeared to save the day (and make me laugh!). I *loved* the scene with Richard Allen and the bomb--best true-to-character moment ever! It was nice, for once, that the book ended without a ton of drama in the last paragraph, but I'd almost rather have a cliffhanger because frankly I'm not all that excited for Book 8.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rapture of the Deep.

09/29/2009 page 100
09/29/2009 page 186
40.97% "Hoping this will get slightly more exciting as it goes on...."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark Hmm, it sounds like a "skimmer" book... Thanks for the review.