Ali's Reviews > Our Tragic Universe

Our Tragic Universe by Scarlett Thomas

F_50x66
Sep 04, 12

bookshelves: fiction

Had I been at any other point in my life, I would have hated this book. However, like Meg, I'm feeling a bit lost and aimless at the moment, and I think that is why it resonated with me. I liked Meg as a character, and I was much more interested in her life and friends than their meta, pretentious discussions they would have about storytelling, life, and the universe. I do not think that it is some eye-opening, clever, philosophical analysis of life, but I think the author was trying to achieve that on some level and that annoyed me. But I related to Meg enough to push past that. It's true that nothing really happens in the book, but I liked it because that's often very true about life.

I wouldn't say the book was necessarily good, but it was good company at 2am when I couldn't sleep. I couldn't imagine reading this book at any other time; it would just seem self-indulgent and ridiculous. In many ways, it reminded me of The Catcher in the Rye, and evokes the same type of feelings. I agree that it is a hard book to review or even summarize, but there you go.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Tragic Universe.