Kaia Jo's Reviews > The Three Pigs

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner

Sep 04, 2012

bookshelves: newberry-caldecott-winners
Read in September, 2012

After reading and enjoying Flotsam, I was eager to explore more of David Wiesner's works. Unlike Flotsam, this story was narrated as well as illustrated. At the beginning of the book I was not overly impressed as the story of the Three Little Pigs has been done so many times; the words were almost verbatim to how I remember every other telling of the story, and the illustrations were not overly detailed or extraordinary. However, I was delighted to see the interesting new twist on the story that I was not expecting. One of my favorite thing in any book or movie is when fairy tales are retold, or best of all when they are mixed with other fairy tales. This book did exactly that and merged the stories of The Three Little Pigs, The Cat and the Fiddle, and a classic dragon tale all into one story. The twist on the ending was nice and they all still lived happily ever after.

I think it would be fun to find a classic version of each of the stories represented in the book and have kids look at the traditional telling of each story and then have them compare and contrast this story to the originals, and then have them write their own ending to the stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Pigs.