Lily Snape's Reviews > Half a Life

Half a Life by Darin Strauss

Sep 04, 2012

did not like it

Absolutely despised it. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm not as intelligently enriched as the rest of the people that loved it. Perhaps I didn't fully grasp it. But I know what the book was meant to be. Touching, gripping, life-changing, and full of emotion. Perhaps it was such, but there are aspects of it that overshadowed these things for me. For instance, it was forcefully described. I reminded me a bit of SMeyers description. (But of course not as bad. Smeyers is the worst you'll find.) The type a five year old would do: the sky was as blue as the ocean. Descriptions are supposed to paint a picture in your head, while being unnoticeable. Mr.Strauss doesn't have that type of description. His are bumpy, noticeable, and overwhelming. I also had a problem with the fact that every other paragraph had an attempted philosophical addition. Again, these are supposed to be unnoticeable inserts that the reader discovers only after the ending of the book, when they are sitting in their kitchen with a cup of tea, unable to take their mind off the recently finished book. It wasn't like that. Quite the opposite. I stopped paying attention to these paragraphs. They were too frequent, too awkward, and again, too overwhelming. That's only the tip of the iceberg. I really wasn't thrilled with this read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half a Life.