Ryan's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Dec 23, 08

Read in December, 2008

Wow. I finished. I have a lot to say about this book and I won't write a full review now but here are a few things for now:

- It's long and repetitive and I think that's fine. The philosophy is sufficiently different from so much of what we're used to hearing that the ideas and lessons bear repeating.

- There is no ambiguity about which characters you are meant to like. Once again I think this is fine. A friend of mine said he tried to read Ayn Rand before and couldn't even get to the philosophy part because the characters were too cut and dry. I think it is impossible to read Ayn Rand and not be analyzing the philosophy with every line. That said, the story itself almost has a science fiction feel to it which makes it fun. But make no mistake, it's about the philosophy.

- I give it five stars for its thoroughness. I give it five stars for its consistency. I give it five stars because it made me feel empowered, free (despite the less than ideal circumstances of the world in which we live), and joyful for being alive. What more could you ask for?

Possibly more later...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.