Jill's Reviews > Inkheart

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Mar 17, 09

bookshelves: clean-language, fantasy, series, 2009, made-into-movie
Read in March, 2009

This book didn't turn out to be what I expected . . . it was quite slow moving for me and not enough of the magical, mystical elements I was hoping for. I also thought the book was MUCH longer than it needed to be; I really struggled to get through it.

The premise is really cool, it's about a man (Mo) who can read characters right out of books. He accidentally releases a villian from a book, and his wife also gets sucked right into it. His attempts at bringing her back fail, and over the years he keeps this talent of his a secret from his pre-teen daughter (Meggie) who doesn't remember her mother at all because she was only three years old when this all happened. So, one night a stranger shows up at their door and so begins their journey back to the evil villian who has been tracking down Mo and the book. It is a really cool idea, it's just not executed very well.

I know there are two other books in this series but I don't think I will ever pick them up.

I hope the movie Inkheart is better than the book, the character I liked most (Dustfinger) is played by Paul Bettany and I REALLY like him. Hopefully he can make the movie interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart.