Kay's Reviews > The Romantic Manifesto

The Romantic Manifesto by Ayn Rand

Aug 04, 07

bookshelves: philosophy, nonfiction
Read in October, 1971

Full disclosure -- I read a lot of Ayn Rand when I was about sixteen or seventeen. It's appealing at around that age. Now I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! I'm giving it three stars (rather than one) for how I (apparently) felt about it back then.

The same applies to Thomas Wolfe, but I still retain a fondness for him even if I can't manage to get through any of his books anymore. Oh, and Hermann Hesse. I read a lot of Hesse, but the only one I was even remotely tempted to reread was The Glass Bead Game.

All these backward glances are certainly instructional. The thing that most strikes me is that when I was younger I looked to books to find the answers. Not that I really found them, mind you, but I was looking.

Now I look to books for comfort, companionship, and entertainment. There are, too, the moments of revelation, but they are unexpected bonuses. Now more things revealed to me when I write than when I read.

Interesting. Or sad, maybe, depending on your viewpoint.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romantic Manifesto.

message 1: by Melynda (new) - added it

Melynda Yesenia so true. i used to do the same thing until i realized i was doing it and now i write to get answers. i still read rand although, it definitely got tougher somewhere along the way.

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill  Kerwin Excellent comment on reading and writing. And of course writing about what you read can reveal so much about the book . . . and so much about the reader too.