Kittyboodles's Reviews > The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap

Sep 04, 12

Read in August, 2012

The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap
By ~ Paulette Mahurin

In 1895, in a small town named Red Cedar Pass, lives a woman named Mildred. She has a very big heart and cares about her town and neighbors. She never turns away a chance to do something good for others and most of the town are good people... with the exception a few of those residents who have nothing to do but be in everyone's business and gossip, spitting out vile, hateful things with every word they speak. There are examples of prejudice, lies, hatred, ignorance, fear and bigotry, secrets, friendship, love, trust, companionship, and truth.

From page one, I became involved with the characters in this wonderful story by Author Paulette Mahurin; I wanted to hug certain people, and smack certain others up side the head. Each character is alive in the book, and I wanted to keep reading to find out what happens next.

By the title alone I was unsure of what type of book it would be. I was pleasantly surprised by this wonderfully told story. I did have a little trouble with some modern words that I don't think would have been used in the late 1800's, it wasn't enough to jolt me out of the story but out of place enough to make me pause within the sentences here and there. There also seems to be a bit of a time line issue with ages. Other than these two small hitches, the story itself is very well told, bringing you right into the town and the lives of those within it.

Congratulations to Paulette Mahurin for a wonderful, thought provoking first book. I can easily see this being made into a movie.

I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.
WaAr

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap.