Bryan Hall's Reviews > Fading Light: An Anthology of the Monstrous

Fading Light by Tim Marquitz

M 50x66
Sep 04, 2012

I was lucky enough to get an advance reader copy of this from the publisher, and have to say that it stands out as one of the strongest anthologies I've ever read. Hands down, it's well worth picking up if you're a fan of horror.

The writers all bring their A-game, with Adam Millard's excellent opening story and Stacey Turner's meditation on hope and hopelessness being the two standouts for me.Each story is well-edited and told with a strong, confident voice while at the same time having the individual voice of each writer. Nick Cato and William Meikle also contribute excellent tales to this anthology.

But it's not like other anthologies these days. Even the weakest stories are still great, and really only pale in comparison to the others because they're not quiet tuned into the running theme throughout the book. Usually I end up reading an anthology and enjoying about half of the stories within it - this one comes closer to 90 percent. Those couple of other stories are the only reason I'm leaving a 4 star, which is honestly the pinnacle of an anthology in my mind since there are always a couple of misfires when you gather a lot of authors together.

If you're burnt out on the endless parade of anthologies being released by small presses these days, I urge you to give this one a try. You'll likely be reminded that sometimes they're excellent and in some cases, absolutely brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fading Light.