Kelly's Reviews > Chains

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

Dec 23, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008, ya-fiction

I wish I could get into this one more. I think I outgrew my historical fiction stage a long time ago, so this one is a tough one. I definitely would have liked it more when I was reading this sort of stuff more. The writing, I must say, is spectacular. The tone and images, the narration, and the setting are very well done and clearly researched extensively. I felt the story dragged in parts and some parts could have been better developed (I found the first chapter to be difficult to follow what was going on, which can be an immediate turn off to readers). For someone who loves historical fiction or is interested in the American Revolutionary era, this is a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chains.

12/22/2008 page 150

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janssen That is EXACTLY how I felt about this book - I know I would have really enjoyed this book as a kid. Now, it was a little more of a struggle.

Kelly Janssen wrote: "That is EXACTLY how I felt about this book - I know I would have really enjoyed this book as a kid. Now, it was a little more of a struggle. "

I think 100 fewer pages and a tighter, quicker storyline would have made it better for me. It was a little long and a little slow for non-historical fiction fans.