Teresa's Reviews > Gentle Rogue

Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey

F_50x66
Sep 05, 12

Read in September, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Surprisingly, this one turned out to be a reread for me. I had not even realized it until I got quite far into the book this time, since the first time I read it, I had skipped over the beginning to get to the good parts. I did quite like it both times, although there were certain things I didn't care for as much.

Twelfth Night is my favorite Shakespearean comedy, and I think is the reason that I so enjoy the woman disguised as a man story line so much. However, I was a little disappointed that he knew all along that she was a woman, and also a little disappointed with some of how he behaves with her during that time.

And where exactly did Mac go? He was an important character, said to be like a father or uncle to George and her whole family, and then he just vanishes and there's no mention of where he went or what he's doing. From the beginning, it is presented as though he is very close to George and quite protective of her. So when she is supposedly kidnapped by her husband, why is he not a part of the group that comes to rescue her? I know that once they were on the ship he was hardly present, but if he is not going to be part of the story, he should not be presented as 'like family' from the beginning.

I did love the fact that James forced her family to force her to marry him, and on the whole, I quite liked James as a hero. Once he got George home, however, it did focus a little too much on his family, probably for the benefit of readers of the entire series. But I was more interested in the relationship between hero and heroine and found some of the family stuff a little tedious.

On the whole, though, I did enjoy it. But I'm not sure that it will be a reread again, now that I know that I've already read most of it twice...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gentle Rogue.