Pat Marrujo's Reviews > Smoky Night

Smoky Night by Eve Bunting

F_50x66
Sep 04, 12

I felt Smoky Night was a great book that teaches about the LA riots of 1992. It teaches about racial tensions, riots and other political issues.

The story is told from the point of view of a boy who is watching the riot with his mother, wondering exactly what is happening. He wonders why people could do things like this and other things, like why his family doesn't shop at the store close to his because the people who own it are "different" from him. We later find out that the store owners that are "different" have a cat that often fights with the main character cats. It is not until a fire in their apartment building until the cats eventually come together as friends.

The animals' abilities to bury the hatchet eventually influences the adults to do the same.'

I think the story contains a very good message and it explains it to children, rather than preaches it. When you read it, you don't really feel like you are learning. Also, I loved the art in the main pictures and the art behind the text. It was modern and I felt helped capture the mood of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smoky Night.