Kat (Lost in Neverland)'s Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Oct 25, 2012

bookshelves: awesome-cover, amazing-love-interest, cool-heroine, ghosts, gorey, historical-fiction, animal-murder, author-signed
Read from October 13 to 18, 2012

After getting banished from her own home in Ohio for drunkenly showing off her mysterious power of knowing someone's darkest secrets just by holding an item of theirs, Evie is sent to New York City to live with her uncle. Her uncle owns the Museum of Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, specializing in boring artifacts and items that are supposedly haunted by old spirits.
Encountering dashing pickpockets, her uncle's quiet giant Jericho, and meeting up with her old friend Mabel, life is an adventure! Until her uncle is asked to help solve the mysterious murder of a young woman, and Evie uses her special power to find the girl's memories of the night.
As more murders escalate, Evie and her uncle soon realize this murderer may be more on the supernatural side than on the living.

This story takes place in the 1920's, and it was very interesting seeing how people lived then. You can obviously tell how much research Bray put into it. My poor description doesn't do the book justice at all, as much more happens within it's 578(!) pages.

-exhausted sigh- That was a loooong book. I mean come on, it's freaking huge. That's one of my only complaints with it.

My other complaint is the animal murder. ANIMAL MURDER!
Unnecessary animal murder as well. (well, all animal murder is unnecessary) I. fucking. hate. it.
WHY. WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE THAT WAY. WITH THE GERMAN SHEPHERD? AND THE CAT?

description

Anyway, I really loved the characters. Evie was a strong, hilarious heroine, Jericho was so sweet and adorable (and my favorite out of all the misfit characters). Theta and Memphis had such depth and I loved reading their sad yet interesting stories.
Hell, even Sam was a cool character, albeit he got a bit irritating sometimes. Evie is probably thinking; No SHIT, Kat!

For some reason, I could not connect with Will, Evie's uncle. He was very unlikeable and just a boring character.

All the characters had depth (I LOVE DEPTH. That sounds odd, doesn't it? But it's true; if characters don't have depth, they're bland and emotionless) and Bray did an amazing job with the historical aspects.

If you're looking for a creepy Halloween read, check this out! But be prepared to be reading it ALL FREAKING MONTH, because as I said before, it's a big ass book You will be exhasuted after you finish it.

Good night!

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.

10/13 page 24
4.0% "Sooo happy my library had this! But DAMN, is it a big ass book! *struggles to hold it*"
10/13 page 34
5.0% "Random dude randomly kisses main character on the lips.

Main character knees him in the groin.

"
10/14 page 145
25.0% ""I was only trying to do a good deed, but I see that no good deed goes unpunished. So if you just hand over my coat, we'll call it even and I'll beat it. I won't even charge you with stealing my property.
Evie spluttered for a second, then took off after Sam, chasing him around the long table, knocking over books. "I'm going to kill him. Who wants to watch?"
Jericho raised his hand.

*also raises hand*"
10/15 page 173
29.0% "Still on his back, he looked up to see a German shepherd dangling on the hook above him, the kill so fresh the animal still twitched. Its belly had been slit open and its insides pulled out.

Excuse me, I'm going to go hug my German shepherd now." 1 comment
10/16 page 278
48.0% "UGH, why does this book have to be so fucking LONG?!"
10/16 page 280
48.0% ""This was a terrible idea. I'm a bachelor; I haven't a clue how to be a parent, or even an uncle."
"That isn't true. You're terribly uncle-ish. Why, you're the most uncle-ish person I know."
"Uncle-ish isn't a word."
"Well, it should be. And it should have your picture beside it in the dictionary.

Evie, you're killing me." 6 comments
10/18 page 448
77.0% ""But she said it was buried with him."
"Yes" Will said. "That will be messy."
Evie stopped mid-chew "You can't be serious."
"We're going to need a shovel."

Aww yeah, it's grave diggin' time! It's like a regular episode of Supernatural.
description
Isn't that the most mesmerizing gif you've ever seen? I can't stop staring at it." 5 comments
10/18 page 567
98.0% "MORE FUCKING ANIMAL MURDER!
WHY.
WHY A CUTE LITTLE KITTY CAT.
WHY YOU KILL HIM.
WHY.
FUCKING EVIL OLD LADIES." 4 comments
08/23 marked as: read

message 1: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em I was SO PISSED when I read the animal cruelty scenes at the end of the book. I let the ones early on pass, but then at the end there were two in a row! I was pissed. LOL. I fell for Jericho, Sam irritated me, and I don't really want a love triangle with the three of them. I think Will became a better character toward the end. The book was pretty massive. I took my time with it so I didn't overwhelm myself, and now it's overdue. Oh well, I feel like it's worth it!

Kat (Lost in Neverland) I KNOW. I mean, what the hell was the point with the cat and the rabbit? It was just an excuse for animal murder. ANIMAL MURDER.

Wait, it was a love triangle? Pfft, Sam doesn't stand a change against Jericho. Maybe Sam and Evie's-old-friend-who-I-can't-remember-the-name-of will get together. The one who was in love with Jericho?

message 3: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em I think it was an attempted love triangle. Sam and Mabel would sure be interesting because they're pretty much opposites. But there's that new male character that seems to have a thing for Mabel..