Jess's Reviews > Destiny

Destiny by Alex Archer

Dec 22, 2008

bookshelves: 2010, fiction
Read on January 23, 2010

I wasn't sure what shelf to put this book in. It was a mix of suspense, history, a little supernatural, and a lot of action. It was a cross between Lara Croft and Indiana Jones.

The main character Annja is just trying to make a decent living as an archeologist. To supplement her income she works on a TV show that investigates historical mysteries. When the book starts off, Annja is investigating the mystery of Le Bete, supposedly a werewolf, that lived at one time in France. While searching for proof, Annja finds herself suddenly being accosted from different groups of people. Every one wanting something different. She's also having strange flashbacks of a woman being burned at the stake.

I thought I wouldn't like this one because of the history involved, but it just made the book more interesting. I wish I saw more of Garin and less of Roux, but whatever. I didn't realize there were so many books in this series, I counted upwards of 15.

I'm going to try to locate the next book in the series, but it seems to be that many books in the series are currently out of print, and they aren't in my library system. I'm not really willing to spend money on 15 books.. so I might have to hold off on continuing with the series at this point.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destiny.

message 1: by Jan Lewis, (new)

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick This sounds pretty interesting? Is there any romance?

message 2: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Jan 23, 2010 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yz the Whyz I've read up to 6 books, and there is no romance.

message 3: by Jan Lewis, (new)

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Ok thanks Yz!

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) There's an omnibus version with the first three books included, did you try looking for that one at the library?

Jess Yeah I did, it's so random they have the first one. Then they have number 12, and number 14. I hate when libraries do that!!!

I just ended up going with the kindle version of the second.

Jess Hey YZ, i was reading some reviews from some of the later books, and one person mentioned how Annja has sex with someone in every book. Maybe you haven't gotten to those books yet? lol.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Hey Jess, I love your reviews - I always get a good feel for a book and can decide if it's something I would enjoy.

This series sounds really cool, so I'll have to check my library. You can request that your library add books to their collection. I've asked for a few items and they've gotten them eventually. You could point out that they have an incomplete series. HTH!

Yz the Whyz Jess wrote: "Hey YZ, i was reading some reviews from some of the later books, and one person mentioned how Annja has sex with someone in every book. Maybe you haven't gotten to those books yet? lol."

LOL...Well, I did get to one, where she did have sex with someone, but the person no longer appeared in the next book...so maybe that reviewer is right...LOL

message 9: by Jess (last edited Jan 25, 2010 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Yz the Whyz wrote: "If your library has OverDrive.com, I think the whole series is available as ebooks that you can borrow. "

I'll have to look into if they do have it.

Suzanne - thanks, I always like being able to read people's reviews and get a good sense of what the book will be like. So I try to make sure my reviews are similar. :)