Diana's Reviews > The Blondes

The Blondes by Emily Schultz

Sep 04, 2012

it was ok
Read from July 16 to August 20, 2013

2.5 stars I suppose. I had been wanting to read this book for a long time, and there were a lot of comparison's to The Handmaid's Tale, a book I really liked so I think my expectations were maybe a bit high. Or maybe it's just been a long time since high school when I read The Handmaid's Tale, so I've forgotten stuff...either way. The good: as a Canadian, I LOVED the Canadian aspects. As a U of T grad I could relate to academic life, the geography of Toronto, the Canadian cultural references--and hey, my hometown (Hamilton) showed up as a quarantine centre location. I did really enjoy Schultz's writing style, interesting observations and social commentary, and I did laugh sometimes at the "affectionate" names Hazel called her unborn baby. Ultimately, though, I just couldn't connect with the characters, not even Hazel (the main character). I liked the premise of the plot, but despite the fact that scientifically it didn't add up, I also felt like I was waiting for more out of the story and more resolution from the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blondes.

07/16/2013 marked as: currently-reading