Courtney (Fuzzy.Coffee.Books)'s Reviews > Beta

Beta by Rachel Cohn

Nov 15, 12

bookshelves: released, wow
Read from September 30 to October 07, 2012

What I Liked: 1) I loved the premise. I'm sure there are other clone stories out there, but this one was something totally new and interesting for me. Somehow they've figured out how to make clones and these clones are mostly used as service workers. But Elysia is purchased for a different purpose, and watching her interact with her new family is...intriguing. 2) Clones have a code to live by but Elysia, and several other clones she learns later on, have trouble meeting those expectations, and have to keep a lot of things secret. The danger of these secrets hangs over Elysia's head and make her a complex and insightful character. 3) The secondary characters. Some of them I liked. Some of them I hated. But whether I loved or hated them, these secondary characters all played a very significant role in the story, and there was depth to them that sometimes you don't find in supporting characters. You guys know me, and I always get into stories with great characters so it's easy to see why I could get into Beta. 4) If you think the supporting characters were great, Elysia and Tahir were awesome. Considering the supposed "soulless-ness" of clones, I found a great amount of depth to her and some complex feelings, for a teenager especially. The developing relationship between the two was a little...obvious, but at the same time it was sweet and very enjoyable for me. In contrast to some of the other, darker parts of the story, it was very light.

What I Didn't Like: Well, Elysia does her fair share of whining. But I think that was part of what made her different from the adult clones on Demense. It seemed to be Miz Cohn's way of making sure we understood that she was a teenage clone, and only the second of her kind, instead of one of the many adults that have been in service for years.

Overall Thoughts: I loved Beta. It's definitely a story that I'll read again and am anxiously awaiting the next installment of this series. It ended on a cliffhanger but it worked and just made me all the more excited for what's happening next in Elysia's story. There are some parts that may pose problems for readers, Elysia's whininess in particular, but I still recommend it for the creativity and interesting storylines!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beta.