Shari Mulluane's Reviews > The Warded Man

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

Mar 08, 2009

Read in February, 2009

This is one of my favorite types of fantasies, character driven. Each character is a product of their harsh and unforgiving environment and tempered by their tragic experiences. The result is characters you can cheer for, feel sympathy for and genuinely like. I also loved the premise. This is a world that has forgotten most of what it knew about fighting demons due to a 3000-year break in the attacks and is now scrambling to survive and regain the knowledge it lost. There are also clearly defined rules, another thing I insist on when it comes to good fantasy. The demons, called corelings, only attack at night and the wards, which are used to hold them back, must be specifically drawn and maintained or the consequences are tragic. There are also different types of demons, each with strengths and limitations. The world building too is excellent right down to the smallest detail. It is obvious that Peter Brett put alot of thought into how people, who are under the threat of attack by demons every single night, would live, think, feel, and survive. He then goes a few steps further and decides what the differences between living in a city, living in a rural area or living as a traveler might be. The result is a world that is very believable, characters that must deal with both external and internal demons, plus a story that flows naturally.

Full Review Here:
Old Bat's Belfry

My Interview with Peter V. Brett here:
Old Bat's Belfry
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warded Man.

Quotes Shari Liked

Peter V. Brett
“Welcome to adulthood." Cob said. "Every child finds a day when they realize that adults can be weak and wrong just like everyone else. After that day, you are an adult. Like it or not.”

Peter V. Brett
“We are what we choose to be, girl,' she said. 'Let others determine your worth, and you've already lost, because no one wants people worth more than themselves.”

Peter V. Brett
“Let others determine your worth and you're already lost, because no one wants people worth more than themselves.”

Peter V. Brett
“People make the world go, and Mothers make people, so they lead the dance.”

Peter V. Brett
“Because Ragen is kind hearted and strong at the same time, and I know how rare that kind of man is. Because I never doubted that he loved me, and would come back. But most of all, because the moments I had with him were worth all the ones apart.”

Peter V. Brett
“I don't pretend to see the path, but I know it's there all the same. One day, we'll look back and wonder how we ever missed it.”

Peter V. Brett
“Rojer nodded, but his eye grew wet. Leesha squeezed his hand. "Herb Gatherers see death often," she told him. "No one, no one, ever goes to the Creator with all their business complete. We all get a different length of time, but it needs to be enough, regardless.”

Peter V. Brett
“Choose a book," she said. "Any book. Bring it here, and I'll show you what else the world can offer.”

03/14 marked as: read

message 1: by Shane (last edited May 20, 2010 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shane I love that you mentioned "clearly defined rules". It's something I always bring up when discussing fantasy. Nothing breaks a story more then when an author breaks his/her own set of rules.

I just read your full review and noticed you didn't mention the one thing that bothered me so I'm curious as to your opinion. Didn't the massive amount of time skipped frustrate you? It's the only negative in the review I just posted. I fell so in love with the story and characters that I really hated missing these massive chunks of their lives.

It's like finding an insanely epic book lying in the mud, half of the story being ruined and unreadable and knowing that you'll never have the complete the story no matter how much you wish it so.