Mary Grace's Reviews > In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

4202510
Oct 24, 2012

Read from September 04 to 27, 2012

A true account of a multiple murder and its consequence - In Cold Blood was truly a chilling read.

This is my second book for TFGs book of the month and I enjoyed it tremendously which I wasn't expecting. I am so not a fan of non-fiction, in fact I loathe them but because the peeps from TFG assigned it for September I went ahead and bought a copy.

In Cold Blood was a retelling of the heinous murder of the Clutter family which put Holcomb, Kansas on the map. The year was 1959 and the crime was a shocker in the quiet town of Holcomb especially since the victims were a staple in this quiet town. The story goes back and forth giving us detailed descriptions of the Clutter family and their killers, Perry Smith and Dick Hickock. The story was told in four parts which I might add helped me a  lot to better understand the story.

Part I (The Last to See Them Alive) was a retelling of how the Clutters were before they died and how influential they are in Holcomb. This is also a chapter wherein we get to see a glimpse of their killers - Perry and Dick. I loved this part because it gave me a sense of the Clutters and of how life was in he 50's in Kansas.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Clutter Family
(image credit: gcpolice.org)[/caption]

Part II (Persons Unknown) was the part I got bored the most. I don't know why but I just got bored reading Dick and Perry's life yet this part was important to somehow understand what went on these two guys head. This was the part that I just wanted to know the motivation of these two for killing the Clutters and how the investigation went.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Richard (Dick) Hickock
(image credit: http://www.kansasmemory.org)[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Perry Smith
(image credit: murderpedia.org)[/caption]

Part III (Answer) was the start of the chasing of the murderers by the authority. This is also the section wherein we understand how the investigation got its break from what seems to be the perfect crime. I actually thought that it was indeed perfect - there was really no connection and it seemed like the Clutters were just unfortunate souls in being killed that night.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="180"] Perry Smith escorted to court[/caption]

And lastly IV (The Corner) was the account of Dick and Perry in jail until their death in April 14, 1965.

Overall, In Cold Blood was a good retelling but there are parts of the book that I got too bored that I wanted to stop reading it. The accounts were horrifying and just by thinking about the incident, you can never really tell how a persons mind work until that crucial moment. A single thought can snap the calmest mind. The crime that both Perry and Dick committed was so senseless that I end up thinking if $50 was worth the lives of 4 innocent people. I do get the why they killed them but for a measly $50 that's a very cheap way to die. I can't imagine the fear and torment the town of Holcomb endured during those moments. Sadness doesn't sum up what I felt after reading In Cold Blood. I don't just recommend this book to non fiction lovers but to everyone who is curious about the event and murder/mystery enthusiasts as well. I need to watch the movie now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Cold Blood.

09/09/2012 page 115
33.0% "OMG. Have. to. finish. this. soon! arggh"