Greg's Reviews > Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction

Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century  by Kay Ann Cassell

Dec 22, 08

bookshelves: libraries, school, girls-girls-girls
Read in December, 2008

Two stars. I don't know how this book could be better, I guess it is the subject that makes it only a two star book. Typical chapter: this is what an X is (x can be a dictionary, or an atlas, or an index or some other reference material). Now we state the obvious, and now we give a ton of one paragraph or so synopsis of tons of different X's out there.

Me while typically reading a chapter: Yep I know what an X is, because I don't live in a cocoon. Oh, lots of very fast descriptions, most of which I could figure out by the title's of them, but I have no interest in hearing about all of these right on top of each other. Then think, hmmmm maybe if I just read through a catalog I'd learn as much and not spend 50 dollars on this book.

Some chapters are about other stuff, like answering a question, doing an interview, helping children with their reference needs (this chapter is a whopping five pages and um, well there is something condescending about the chapter and it's pithy treatment of children, not that I give a shit about children but still), and reader's advisory (see my blog entry on my strong feelings of alienation I suffered after reading this chapter).

All and all not an enjoyable experience. I don't think I learned anything from the book. I didn't use it to study for any tests or quizzes, and my life would be exactly the same if I hadn't read it. But I did, and now I get to rate it. And this will make book 1500 on my read shelf. Yay for a life spent with my nose in books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century .