Tamara's Reviews > Boyfriend from Hell

Oct 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, ya-urban-fantasy, arc-galley-netgalley-edelweiss
Read from September 10 to 28, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Review originally posted here: (http://shelfaddiction.weebly.com/1/po...)

I finished Boyfriend from Hell four days ago, but I didn't want to write the review right away. This is one of those books that has to settle and marinate in my mind for a moment so that I wouldn't give a knee jerk reaction...In this case, that knee jerk reaction would have been not so good review...This book starts oddly and slowly. The story was able maintain my attention, but I was starting to lose hope when about page 60 or so, things started to get more interesting.

I don't speak on cover art often, but in the case, the cover art initially my attention. Between the cover and the synopsis, I thought that the book would be edgy and sexy. Not so much, on either account. Don't get me wrong, overall, this book was good. I just expected more everything. More action, more sex, more romance, more bad ass-ness (if that's even a word, lol). The book includes several paranormal themes that I haven't read about before, which I liked. But on the flip side, I felt that it was sort of vague and lacked details in several areas. I wish we got some more information on Saturn's daughters, that topic particularly was very vague. Maybe we'll get more in book two. Maybe we'll even learn more about how Tina's mother and grandmother play into the history of Tina becoming one of Saturn's Daughters.

The story takes place in Baltimore, more specifically the Zone area. Which is full of people who have been genetically altered due to the toxicity of the area caused by a chemical spill. In addition to those people, then there seem to be genuine paranormal beings mixed in there. In addition, there are moving and talking objects, like statues, money, glowing buildings. All intriguing stuff.

The characters were interesting and have tons of potential, but again, I felt they were somewhat lacking. Tina, our heroine, is a law student with morals and wants to do the right thing for the little people. She develops the ability to send people to hell, which initially leads her to believe that she's gone crazy. Between seeing her dead ex Max in mirrors and talking to him she had convinced herself that she was on track for the loony bin.

The main two secondary characters were Max and Andre, so I'll just touch on them. Max, the ex that Tina sent to hell. He's got a past that he has hidden from Tina, which all comes pouring out as the story progresses. Andre Legrange, Tina's boss, whose handsome, clearly abnormal, controlling and seems to own many business in the Zone and has tons of mob like tendencies and connections. I like him, but I wish we'd seen a little more of him and Tina. Andre's still a mystery. We don't learn much about him at all.

I also felt that it was seriously lacking in the romance area. We could tell that Tina clearly had a romantic interest toward Andre, but this relationship was PG at best. I'm used to a little more heat than that in my adult Urban Fantasy/Paranormal books.

Lastly, the ending...I really didn't feel like we got a strong cliffhanger. In my personal opinion, that is mandatory when doing a series. You have to keep us readers hooked. A great cliffhanger has us all on the edges of our seats anxiously waiting for the next installment.

I really wanted to love this book, but I had to settle for liking it instead. The story has tons of potential and hopefully will deliver more in the follow up book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriend from Hell.

09/19/2012 page 40
10.0% "I can't believe it took me so long to actually start this book!"
09/22/2012 page 140
35.0% "Things that make you go hmm..."
09/28/2012 page 400
100.0% "The review will be up soon."
show 1 hidden update…